I built a new arm chair for the set today. The arm chair is made of wood and canvas with a little bit of foam. Not likely to be comfortable. But the puppet will not really worry about it. The bottom and seat cushion is designed for controlling the puppet.
Archive for category Sets
I finished a new set this weekend. It is a partially finished basement with a window well and a stage right exist to upstairs. The Puppets will be able to act from any spot inside of the room through the removable flooring. The window well will be a space where a puppet can be acted from. The well has both sides and a back, but no bottom.
I am going to rewrite the story that I was working on (Partnership for a Czar Free America) and use the Leon and Norra puppets.
Here are some of the construction photos
I put the second support in place for the squares today. Thirteen squares will be used for the first scene in the show.
Under the stage I put in a monitor on a swing arm. The swing arm is supported by a vertical 2″ x 4″ support.
From the other side.
Two 8′-0″ 2″ x 4″ vertical supports were installed in the rear of the stage. The vertical supports will hold a green screen that will be sewn to fit the space.
A scrap piece of carpet was was cut and the desk was placed on top of the stage.
A stand was positioned so that the camera person can be positioned in a way that will have a good view of the stage.
The last step in the construction of the stage will be to install the green screen.
The main set for Partnership for a Czar Free America is focused on an Oak desk that is in the basement of Leon’s house.
To build the desk, I used oak plywood that I had recovered from a broken oak desk.
The desk is designed to be about 15 inches by 32 inches. It is about 15 3/4 inches tall.
The front of the desk was made out of three pieces of plywood to give it more depth and the look more like a real desk rather than a simple prop.
The sides were attached with a nail gun.
I then placed the top on and nailed it in place as well.
An oak stain was then rubbed into it and allowed to dry.
The final step is to clear coat the desk so that the oils don’t get on the puppets.
The desk will then sit on a small piece of carpet on top of a folding table. The plan is to then shoot the scene in front of a green screen and replace the background with either a concrete background or with wood paneling.
Well the ark went together very quick. I think this was the easiest school set I have built.
The a-frame supports were built from 2×4″. They were designed to give the impression of the slant of the sides of the boat, while providing sufficent strength to support the 3/4″ plywood.
The finished ark fit the church perfectly.
The altar is hidden behind the set.
The final dimensions ended up being approximately 24 feet across and about 7 feet at the tallest point.
So last weekend, I went into Home Depot, and was greeted by an associate there. “What are you working on today?” I responded, “I am building an ark.” Unfazed, he said, “Cool, like Bruce Almighty?” So they were really true to the “You can do it, we can help” motto.
It is not like Bruce Almighty, and I am not really building a whole one, just half of an ark. The ark is going to be a backdrop for the school musical that will happen next week. It is measured in feet not cubits, as I haven’t found a cubometer yet. It will be 24 feet across and 6 feet hight. It is going to be constructed out of 3/4 inch plywood. It is going to weigh a ton, but should look quite impressive when finished.
Last weekend I started the supports. I will finish them up tomorrow and get some pictures posted. Sunday after church we will strip down the church and build the set. I should have some final pictures up after that.